Video Author Instructions
Neurosurgical Focus Video Author Instructions
- All submissions must be original work, not previously posted or published elsewhere.
- All submissions will undergo peer review by at least three reviewers.
- Submission MUST BE RELEVANT to the monthly topic.
- Multiple submissions on the same topic from the same authors or same institutions will be ranked by the Editor-in-Chief. At most, two submissions from a single set of authors or institution will be accepted in a single issue.
- The video article consists of two or three parts: 1) the video file; 2) the text file; and, 3) an optional supplemental file containing figures and/or tables that appear in the video.
- If accepted for publication, the authors will grant permission to the AANS/JNSPG to publish and maintain the video article on the JNSPG website (www.thejns.org) (see Forms for further information).
- All parts of the video article will be copyrighted by the authors or their institution and issued a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) license. (For information on this license, see https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.)
Your video should represent one or more unique technical pearl(s) of interest to neurosurgeons and include the following components if relevant:
- Patient positioning (Note: Please make every reasonable effort to ensure the privacy and dignity of the patient is protected before and during filming.)
- Surgical opening technique
- Dissection to identify existing pathology
- Treatment of the underlying pathological process
- Closure techniques
- Video file must be optimized for streaming. Guidelines for this can be found here.
- Length: Video should be between 2 minutes and 10 minutes.
- Size: Video file should be less than 500 MB. See About Vimeo (page below) if your video is larger than 500 MB.
- Opening screen:
- Title — Must be an exact match to that given in the Text file.
- Author names — Order of names must be an exact match to what is given in the Text file.
- Voice-over audio is required. Please avoid background noise when recording your video.
- Text (including abbreviations) in your video and text file should be checked for correct spelling and grammar. The JNSPG will not edit your video or text for spelling or grammar.
- References: Five to 10 references to be included as a static screen for at least 2 seconds at the end of your video. This list should be an exact match to the list provided in your text file. (See 3. Text file, References for formatting instructions.)
- Optional figures: If you intend to include figures (such as a medical illustration) that were previously published or are copyrighted by someone other than the authors, you will need to obtain written permission from the copyright holder. (See 3. Text file, Optional figure and/or table file for instructions regarding permission licenses and figure/table legend credit lines.)
Text file—Single Word document
- Submission statement: provide a statement confirming your abstract and video are original, and have not been submitted elsewhere in part or in whole.
- Include link and password to video file from vimeo.com.
- Title must be an exact match to that given in the video file.
- Author names must be listed in the same order as presented in the video file; each author’s name should be followed by his or her highest academic degree(s) and hospital/departmental affiliation(s).
- Corresponding author (usually the senior author) must be designated, with current contact information and email address.
- Abstract, not to exceed 100 words in length.
- Three to five key words.
- For each author, include possible conflicts of interest related to the video or its subject matter.
- Copyright notice. Authors retain copyright for the video and accompanying printed matter that appears on the JNSPG website. Please add the following statement, see format below:
- © [year of publication], [all author’s names], under a Creative Commons Attribution license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
The written transcript should match the oral narrative in the video.
- Include time points that are highlighted in your video (e.g., 1:10 demonstration of initial incision.)
- Cite references in parentheses within text in the order used in the video — see References section below for format instructions.
- If you have included figures and/or tables, cite them in parentheses within the text.
- Disclaimer: The abstract and transcript files will not be edited. Ensure that the text has no spelling or grammar errors.
- Between five and 10 references are allowed. They may be cited within the abstract or the transcript, but it is not required. Citation in text follows APA style (author name, year) rather than numerical citation.
- List references alphabetically according to the first letter of the last name of the author. Follow JNSPG reference formatting style, but do not number the references.
- Reference List in text and video must be identical.
- Citations of references in text and video: References must be cited in the written transcript using APA format (First author last name, year).
- Use the following examples as a guide. Single author: Jones, 2019; two authors, Smith and Jones, 2017; more than two authors: Jones et al, 2019. If there is more than one publication by the same author(s) in a given year: Smith et al, 2018a; Smith et al, 2018b. If there is more than one author with the same last name: Jones AJ, 2019; Jones BR, 2019.
Optional figure and/or table file, as a single pdf
- Figures and/or tables that appear in your video may be saved as a single pdf file and loaded as a supplemental file.
- Figure/table legends and labels (i.e., Figure 1, Table 2, etc.) should be included after each figure/table.
- Disclaimer: Figures, tables, and their labels and legends will not be reviewed or edited. Ensure they are correctly identified with no spelling or grammar errors
- Note: If a figure or table is copyrighted by someone other than by the authors, regardless of whether it has been published before, you must first obtain written permission from the copyright holder to use the figure/table in your video and text. You also must acknowledge the copyright holder in the accompanying figure/table legend. Check with copyright holders as to what credit line they prefer. Examples:
If the figure/table was previously published, the legend should cite the original work in which the figure/table was published.
- “© 2019 [Name of Copyright Owner]. Used with permission” or
- “Reprinted with permission from [Names of Authors]: [Title of Article]. [Name of Journal] [Vol]: [Page Numbers], [Year of Publication]. © [Name of Copyright Owner].”
Submission of files
All authors must have an active user account within the Neurosurgical Focus submission site.
Step 1: Submit your Word file to the Neurosurgical Focus submission site (http://focus.msubmit.net). Note: This must be done before you upload your video to Vimeo (see above); the manuscript ID number is required in your Vimeo submission and will be your password.
Follow the steps below to complete submission:
- Click “Submit Manuscript.”
- Load Text file as single Word document – it must include:
- Title page
- Written transcript
- Optional figure/table file as single pdf
- Click “Continue.”
- Follow the directions as indicated by the red arrow(s).
- At the Keywords, Topic, and Specialties Tab, choose the correct Monthly Topic from the drop down menu.
- When all fields are completed, click “Submit.”
Step 2: Upload your video to vimeo.com. Please include both the link to your Vimeo file and Vimeo password on your Text file.
Important! The reviewers will use the URL in your abstract file to access the video. The password for the video must exactly match the manuscript number in order to be viewed.
About Vimeo: Vimeo LLC (vimeo.com) is an online platform for hosting videos. Membership on Vimeo is free for a Basic account, or you can upgrade to a Vimeo Plus account for a fee (this is not required). The Vimeo Plus account includes more storage space so that larger video files can be uploaded. See FAQ: Vimeo Membership for further details. Vimeo also offers an extensive Help Center and FAQs.
Note: All videos must be submitted through vimeo.com. Do not upload your video to the submission site.
- Click on “Upload” (located in the right upper corner)
- Drag and drop your video in the open window or choose file and upload.
- In the Title field, add the manuscript number (which was generated by your text submission to the Neurosurgical Focus submission site).
- In the Description field, add the title of your video that must match your text title.
- For the Privacy setting, select “Only people with a password can see this video.” The password must be the manuscript number (FOCUS19-###). Note: The entire manuscript number must be used, and it is case sensitive.
Note: To make your video downloadable, go to the Settings for the Video, and then go to “Privacy.” Under the question “What can people do with this video?”, click the box next to “Download it”. Click the “save” button when done.
- Click the “Save” button to save your setting, and then click the “Upload complete! Go to video” button that appears under the video window. (see screen shot)
- Once the window opens with your video, copy the URL in your browser window and paste it into your Word abstract document (see below). The format for your URL should look as follows: https://vimeo.com/123456789
Important! The reviewers will use the URL in your abstract file to access the video. The password for the video must exactly match the manuscript number in order to be viewed. If the password does not work, we will contact you to correct it. Please note this can lead to delays in the review process.
Authors will retain copyright to their video articles. The AANS/JNSPG requires that you provide two forms prior to acceptance.
Forms that must be uploaded to the submission site prior to acceptance
If we request a revised video manuscript, please complete, sign, and load the following two forms with your revision to the Neurosurgical Focus submission site. These forms can be found on the submission site, Author Instructions Tab.
- Publication Agreement between authors and JNSPG granting the AANS/JNSPG the right to publish the video article (video, text, and optional figure file). This form must be signed by the corresponding author on behalf of all authors. Please select “forms” at the upload step.
- e-Conflict of Interest form must be filled out and signed by each author. The link to this form is emailed to each author if a revision is requested.
We suggest that you obtain two other forms for your own records, described below:
Forms that should be collected and kept on file (If applicable). Do not upload these forms.
- Patient Consent form(s) signed by all patients and other persons displayed or mentioned in video and text.
- This form must make it clear to the patient/participant that the video article will appear on the Internet and may be seen by the general public. The form must be signed by the patient/participant to be valid. You can find a sample patient consent form at the Author Instructions tab. Do not upload consent form(s).
- Permission forms to include material copyrighted by others:
- Authors must obtain permission to include tables or figures that have been copyrighted by others, regardless of whether the material was published previously. This permission may take the form of a simple email or a full permission license with terms and conditions, and must give you, the Author(s), a nonexclusive worldwide license to reproduce the work. For your protection, you should request both electronic and print rights so that text and supplemental files may be printed and distributed. Contact the copyright holder directly to obtain a permission license or letter granting you these rights.
- If figures or tables were previously published, please consult the permission license to see if there is a preferred manner of crediting the copyright holder and the original source in the figure legend. Otherwise, see 3. Text file, Optional figure file for instructions regarding figure legend credit lines).
For questions regarding the submission of text and/or supplemental file, or submission matters, please contact Margie Shreve (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For questions regarding upload of your video, please contact JNSPG Production (email@example.com).