COVID-19 - Support for Patients
In response to the needs of our site licensees in providing support and care to COVID-19 patients, The JNSPG will consider all reasonable requests to extend content access as may be useful or in the interest of the public good.
The JNSPG will also make available on our site articles identified by health care providers or academic research scientists as valuable to health care providers caring for COVID-19 patients.
Please write us at email@example.com to make a request.
Worldwide Shipping Update
We remain in daily contact with our shipping vendor to review options for delivering issues to our print subscribers as we see disruption in airfreight due to efforts to contain COVID-19.
Currently, delivery to Europe continues via Ocean Freight weekly. This delivery method is significantly slower (estimated ~30 days to receipt), but material will continue to move.
The use of Air Freight for the rest of the world will be utilized as long as available.
With the uncertainty and potential delays in upcoming shipments, we must institute a hold on claiming any missed issues. Claims for missed issues will be addressed when shipping reliability returns.
Courier service does not currently appear to be affected, but there still may be minor delays. Signature requirements for many countries may not be feasible.
Online access will remain available and up to date worldwide.
We appreciate everyone’s patience as we work through these issues. We will update these notices as circumstances warrant.
Remote Access for Institutional Library Patrons
We realize that not every institution has the infrastructure in place to offer remote access to licensed JNS journal content. Given the present need for researchers to work from home, here is a set of instructions for institutional site administrators and patrons to generate Access Tokens:
FOR THE INSTITUTIONAL SITE ADMINISTRATOR:
Step I: Gain access to your account in the JNS AMS (Account Management System)
- Login to your Admin account at https://ams.thejns.org. If you have not previously activated a site admin account, please write to JNSONLINE@thejns.org for help.
- From the Dashboard, choose your organization’s account. Go to the “Details” tab.
- Copy your account name and AMS number (to the left of “[ORGANIZATION]”
- Email JNSONLINE@thejns.org to request “Access Tokens” for your remote users unable to otherwise connect to your institutional subscription. Make sure to include the name and AMS number copied in stage 3. The default is to send the admin 10 access tokens, but you may request more. The number of tokens can be increased or reduced at any time.
Step II: Using the access tokens
FOR THE LIBRARIAN:
- Your request will be acted upon as expediently as possible. You will receive a reply email with a spreadsheet attachment containing a list of access tokens specific to your organization.
- Each user/individual requiring remote access to your subscription should be issued 1 token from the list. It must not be shared with other individuals or used with multiple user accounts.
- Direct the user/individual to follow the instructions for the Remote Patron below.
The added member will now have access to the institution’s licenses without any access to the institution’s corporate account. This access will work on both computers and mobile devices.
**Added members can be removed at any time. Click the “Remove” link to the right of the added member’s listing on the “Members” tab in your AMS account.**
FOR THE REMOTE PATRON:
- You must have an active JNS User Account.
- To create a new JNS registered user account: go to https://thejns.org/signup, and complete the registration and email verification process.
- To reactivate an existing account: Go to https://thejns.org/forgotpassword and follow the instructions to regain access. (Note: Your username is usually your email address.
- Notify your institutional electronic resources librarian to request access to the organizational subscription. Include your full name, JNS Username, and email address in the request.
- Your institution will provide you with an “Access Token.” Once added, this token will pair your user account with the institutional subscription.
- To add ACCESS TOKEN:
- Go to: https://thejns.org/redeem and click on SIGN IN.
- Once logged in, enter the token (code) sent by your institution.
- Start using your access.
The JNS will continue to publish online despite the recent health emergency. To receive new content, or new issue alerts, make sure to sign up with your JNS User account.
To subscribe to Issue and Ahead of Print table of contents (TOC) alerts, follow these easy steps:
2) Go to any page of the journal(s) you want to receive alerts from. You will need to individually sign up for each set of alerts.
- Journal of Neurosurgery: https://thejns.org/view/journals/j-neurosurg/j-neurosurg-overview.xml
- Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine: https://thejns.org/spine/view/journals/j-neurosurg-spine/j-neurosurg-spine-overview.xml
- Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics: https://thejns.org/pediatrics/view/journals/j-neurosurg-pediatr/j-neurosurg-pediatr-overview.xml
- Neurosurgical Focus: https://thejns.org/focus/view/journals/neurosurg-focus/neurosurg-focus-overview.xml
- Neurosurgical Focus: Video: https://thejns.org/video/view/journals/neurosurg-focus-video/neurosurg-focus-video-overview.xml
3) Look in the RIGHT hand column for the “New Issue Alerts” and “Publish Before Print Alerts” buttons.
4) Click on the desired alert button and confirm your choice.
You may un-subscribe from any alert at any time by going to the “My Alerts” tab in your user account and deleting the undesired choice.
Need help? Write to JNSONLINE@thejns.org
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do institutional subscribers get access to content?
A: Institutional subscribers will access the content using IP authorization via the IPs that are defined for the account in the Access Management System (AMS).
Q: How do I log in to the administrative account?
A: Please go to: https://ams.thejns.org/ to login to the Access Management System (AMS). If you have not yet been provided these credentials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: What information is available on the Access Management System (AMS)?
A: IP addresses, Subscriptions, Contact Information, COUNTER Reports, An option to update OpenURL details
Following activation of new accounts, Librarians will receive an email with details for administrative access to the Access Management System, through which they can download COUNTER reports and manage account details including IP addresses for content access. If you are an account administrator and have not yet been provided the details for creating and logging into this account, please contact email@example.com.
Following receipt of the email, all administrators should:
- Verify your library administration account information. Check your IPs and identify your proxy IP address, contact information, username, and email address.
- Verify your access to purchased entitlements. Institutional users will be authenticated via IPs set by your library Administrator.
Q: How do I know if my institution has access to an article?
A: The JNS online platform uses a color-coded padlock icon to indicate what access you have:
- Green: indicates user-accessible content; content that you/your institution have access to. This could include content which is free or has been made available temporarily for promotional purpose.
- Red: indicates restricted access; you do not have access to this content. To subscribe to this content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Who can I contact for any access issues?
A: You can contact email@example.com if you have any questions about the content hosted on thejns.org.
Q: Is post-cancellation (perpetual) access available?
A: Yes, JNS provides post-cancellation (perpetual) access for institutional subscribers to issues of the journal published during the term of the subscription. You may always elect to access post-cancellation content through any of our archival partners.
Q: How do I renew or place an order for the upcoming subscription year?
A: You can order through your subscription agent, or directly by contacting our subscriptions department:
Journal of Neurosurgery
Attn. Subscriptions Dept.
1 Morton Dr, Suite 200
Charlottesville, VA 22903
USA Phone: 434-982-1684