Petroclival meningiomas are notoriously difficult lesions to manage surgically, given the critical neurovascular structures that are intimately associated with the tumors. In this paper, the authors' aim was to review their series of patients with petroclival meningiomas who underwent surgical treatment; emphasis was placed on evaluating modes of presentation, postoperative neurological outcome, complications, and recurrence rates.
Fifty patients underwent surgical treatment for petroclival meningiomas. The majority of the patients were women (72%). The authors retrospectively reviewed the patients' medical records, imaging studies, and pathology reports to analyze presentation, surgical approach, neurological outcomes, complications, and recurrence rates.
Headache was the most common presentation (58%). The most commonly used approach was the transpetrous approach (in 16 patients), followed by the orbitozygomatic approach (in 13). Gross-total resection was performed in 14 patients (28%), and in the remaining patients there was residual tumor (72%). Eighteen patients with tumor remnants were treated with Gamma Knife surgery. New postoperative cranial neuropathies were noted in 22 patients (44%). The most common cranial nerve (CN) deficit following surgery was CN III dysfunction (in 11 patients) and facial weakness (in 10). In 9 patients, the CN dysfunction was transient (41%), and 7 patients had permanent dysfunction (32%). Eight patients developed hydrocephalus and all required placement of a ventriculoperitoneal shunt. A CSF leak was noted in only 2 patients (4%), and wound dehiscence was noted in 1. The CSF leaks and the wound dehiscence occurred in patients who were undergoing reoperations. Adequate radiographic follow-up (minimum 6 months) was available for 31 patients (62%). The mean follow-up was 22.1 months. In 6 patients, tumor progression or recurrences were noted. The median time to recurrence was 84 months. At the time of discharge from the hospital, 92% of the patients had good outcomes (Glasgow Outcome Scale Scores 4 and 5). Three patients died of causes not directly related to the surgery.
Petroclival meningiomas still pose a formidable challenge to neurosurgeons. In their series, the authors used multiple skull base approaches and careful microneurosurgical technique to achieve a good functional outcome (Glasgow Otcome Scale Score 4 or 5) in 92% of patients, although the extent of gross-total resection was only 28%. The authors' primary surgical goal was to achieve maximal tumor resection while maintaining or improving neurological function. The authors favor the treatment of residual tumor or recurrent tumor with stereotactic radiosurgery.
Address correspondence to: Anil Nanda, M.D., Department of Neurosurgery, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, 1501 Kings Highway, P.O. Box 33932, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130-33932. email: email@example.com.
Please include this information when citing this paper: published online December 24, 2010; DOI: 10.3171/2010.11.JNS10326.
LittleKMFriedmanAHSampsonJHWanibuchiMFukushimaT: Surgical management of petroclival meningiomas: defining resection goals based on risk of neurological morbidity and tumor recurrence rates in 137 patients. Neurosurgery56:546–5592005
SawamuraYAsaokaKTerasakaSTadaMUchidaT: Evaluation of application techniques of fibrin sealant to prevent cerebrospinal fluid leakage: a new device for the application of aerosolized fibrin glue. Neurosurgery44:332–3371999
SteinbokPSinghalAMillsJCochraneDDPriceAV: Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak and pseudomeningocele formation after posterior fossa tumor resection in children: a retrospective analysis. Childs Nerv Syst23:171–1752007